Transfer Policies

The Transfer Process: Two Easy Steps

The School of Continuing & Professional Studies (CAPS) is the continuing education and professional division at Washington University in St. Louis. Our programs and offerings are designed for adult learners. If you are interested in traditional, residential full-time study at WashU, please visit the Undergraduate Admissions website.

Step 1: Schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Schedule your advising appointments online, 24-hours a day using our new online scheduling platform. Visit our Student Advising page and select an advisor today!

If possible, please e-mail or fax a copy of your academic record to an advisor in advance of your meeting. This will allow us to prepare an evaluation of the college credits you have already earned.

In this appointment, students also are encouraged to discuss their academic goals with the advisor.

Step 2: Complete an application for admission.

Browse our programs and complete an online application for the undergraduate program or certificate program.

Transferring College Credits

CAPS has a generous transfer credit policy for course work completed at other accredited institutions.

Transfer and Credit for Prior Learning  Policy
  • Transferring Institution: In deciding whether to accept credit from another institution, CAPS considers such factors as:  
    • The institution’s status as a fully accredited institution of higher education, either according to US Department of Education standards or by the national ministry of education for non-US institutions;  
    •  The accreditation’s type and nature; and  
    • The information found in institutional bulletins and guides.  
  • Courses to be transferred: CAPS will also determine for all credit accepted whether the credits are appropriate to CAPS degree programs. These additional transfer credit policies also apply to each course to be transferred: 
    • Maximum of 66 units from a community college may be transferred to the bachelor’s degree.
    • Maximum of 84 units overall may be transferred to the bachelor’s degree.
    • Maximum of 24 transfer units may be transferred to the associate’s degree.
    • Courses numbered as undergraduate level, according to transcript key, may be eligible for transfer credit.
    • Where a relevant division or department exists, credit will be granted in that division or department. Otherwise, general elective credit will be granted.
    • Transfer credit is awarded toward all categories of course work in CAPS—General Education, Major, Advanced, and Elective, subject to policies stated here. Please see notes below and speak with an advisor for more information.
    • Courses with grades of C- or higher are eligible for transfer credit  to undergraduate degrees.
    • Transfer credit is not awarded for internships, independent study, courses associated with vocational and technical training, or study for trade certification. Other courses may not be eligible for transfer.
  •  A combined maximum of 30 units may be awarded for prior learning. CAPS accepts:
    • College Level Examination Program (CLEP),
    • DANTES Subject Standardization Tests (DSST),
    • Advanced Placement,
    • International Baccalaureate examination scores, and
    • Credit for prior learning evaluated by ACE via the National Guide or the Military Guide and recommended at the baccalaureate level.
  • International records must be evaluated for transfer credit by an accredited transcript evaluation agency.
  • Certain courses, including physical education and English Language courses, may be limited to 6 transfer credits.
  • The School of Continuing & Professional Studies does not have any articulation agreements with other institutions
  • Graduate students: normally, up to six units of relevant graduate-level study with a grade of B or higher may be transferred to a master’s degree program. Authorized P/F credit from graduate-level course work in the Olin School of Business may apply if the work was completed prior to the student’s admission to a CAPS program of study and the student received a course grade of Pass or High Pass.

Transfer Credit for General Education Requirements

Transfer credit is awarded toward General Education Requirements at CAPS, which are separated into Basic Requirements and Distribution Requirements.

Basic Requirements
  • Analytical Writing (U11 111)*
  • Critical and Researched Writing (U11 203)*
  • One additional 3-unit advanced writing course, chosen from U11 304, U11 3120, U11 324, U11 331, or Rhetoric.*
  • One 3-unit course in numerical applications with a minimum grade of C-, which may be applied to the relevant distribution area as noted below. To meet the numerical application requirement you must take one of the following: Econ 231 (Economic Statistics), Math 1011 (Intro to Statistics), Math 123 (Programming in C), Math 141 (Pre-Calculus I), Math 142 (Pre-Calculus II), Math 155 (Calculus I), Math 156 (Calculus II), Math 205 (Applied Statistics Online), Math 210 (The Art of Mathematical Thinking), Math 212 (Sports and Statistics), Math 255 (Calculus III), Math 256 (Calculus IV), any 300 level and higher math classes, Programming with Python (U20 133), PolSci 323 (Introduction to Quantitative Methods) or Psych 300 (Psychological Statistics).
  • One course in moral reasoning, which may be applied to the relevant distribution requirements noted below.
  • One 3-unit course in cultural diversity, which may be applied to the relevant distribution requirement as noted below. Courses that satisfy the cultural diversity requirement explore issues of global human diversity and the interactions among cultures, with a focus on societies of Africa, East Asia, South Asia, Latin America, or the Middle East, or indigenous people of the Americas.

*Students who receive a grade lower than a C- in U11 111 Analytical Writing taken at CAPS must repeat the course. Students who receive a grade lower than a C- in U11 203 Critical and Researched Writing taken at CAPS must, in consultation with the Department of English and CAPS, choose between two options to satisfy the requirement: 1) repeat the course; or 2) complete a 3-unit composition tutorial with a grade of C or higher. Students who have completed English Composition courses at another college or university should be well prepared for the required writing courses at CAPS and transfer credit will be awarded for this work according to our regular transfer credit policies. However, new students will begin with U11 111 at CAPS. Students who feel they have a strong writing background may petition to take a placement test to demonstrate the skills needed to begin with U11 203 Critical and Researched Writing instead. All students will complete U11 203 and a 300-level writing course at CAPS. If you have any questions about the writing evaluation process or requirements, please contact your advisor.

These requirements effective as of Summer 2019. Students admitted to CAPS programs prior to Summer 2019 are expected to fulfill the requirements in place at the time of their admission.  

Distribution Requirements

36 units, 9 units in each area noted below. Major courses also may fulfill basic and distribution requirements, however, each distribution area must include course work from at least two disciplines.

  • Humanities: Courses from Art History, Classics, History*, Literature, Philosophy, and Religious Studies.
  • Social Sciences: Courses from: Anthropology, Economics, History*, Political Science, Psychology.
  • Natural Sciences and Mathematics: Courses from Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Planetary Sciences, Physics, and Science.
  • Languages and the Arts: (9 credits) Three courses, of at least 3 units each, in Creative Writing, Dance, Drama, Music, Speech, and Studio Art.

*History courses may satisfy either the Humanities or Social Sciences requirements, but not both.

Major Courses

You may transfer credit to your intended major at the School of Continuing & Professional Studies. Majors in CAPS vary by area of study and range from 30 to 51 units. At least half of the units in the major must be taken at Washington University.

Advanced Courses

In order to receive the Bachelor of Science degree you must complete a minimum of 30 units of advanced courses (equivalent to 300- and 400-level course numbers at Washington University), and at least 18 units of advanced courses must be taken in the major. Transfer credit may be awarded for additional advanced courses.

Residency Requirement

You must complete the final 36 units of course work toward the Bachelor of Science degree at Washington University. At least half of the units for the major and at least 18 units of advanced courses in the major must be completed at Washington University.


If you have any questions about any part of this process, our academic advisors are happy to assist you. Call 314-935-6700 or email our academic advisors. For undergraduate student inquiries, please contact Elisa Wang at and for graduate student inquiries, please contact Elizabeth Fogt at