The Certificate in Sustainability provides an interdisciplinary foundation for understanding and addressing today’s most pressing and complex social, environmental, and economic challenges.
This certificate covers the broad sustainability knowledge, skills, and competencies needed for those interested in either advancing within their current field or seeking a new direction. It can apply across a wide range of fields, from management, design, and planning, to environmental services in business, non-profit, and public institutions. The program addresses the collaborative and integrative nature of sustainability with an emphasis on applied learning – taking the lessons from the classroom into St. Louis.
There are no formal requirements for admission to undergraduate certificates. Students should speak with an academic advisor regarding their preparation for specific certificates or courses.
US Citizenship or Eligible Noncitizen
International students interested in the certificate programs must hold a visa that permits part-time study (including F-2 and J-2 visas). Students holding F-1 visas are not eligible for these programs. Students holding a B-2 visa may be eligible if the coursework is recreational or avocational in nature.
NOTE: The School of Continuing & Professional Studies is designed for students with adult responsibilities who may require part-time and flexible course schedules. Current high school students and recent graduates seeking a traditional WashU college experience should apply through the undergraduate admissions office: admissions.wustl.edu.
Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis and typically take four to six weeks. An application is incomplete and will not be reviewed until all of the application requirements have been received or processed. Applicants are encouraged to submit all materials by the following dates:
- Summer 2023: April 30, 2023
- Fall 2023: July 31, 2023
- Spring 2024: Dec. 31, 2023
Completed Application Form
The online application is available on our Apply page. Applications are ready for review when all fields on the application form are completed and the required documents have been received.
We are here for you every step. Getting started at CAPS is easy.
1. Meet with an Advisor
- Schedule an appointment with an advisor online.
2. Start Your Application
- Applying is easy, and our advisors are here to help you find the path that fits your needs. Apply Today!
3. Plan Ahead
- Explore ways that can help you afford your education such as tuition payment methods, scholarships and financial aid.
Take a course today. Apply later.
At CAPS, students can take courses without applying to a degree program. If you are interested in taking a class to get to know CAPS, to fulfill credits, for professional development, or to follow a passion, the non-degree option is for you. Learn more.
REQUIRED COURSES: 15 UNITS
- Foundations and Practice of Sustainability (U19 205)
- Environmental Science: Regional and Global Perspectives (U29 413)
- Strategic Planning (U44 364)
- Translating Sustainable Business Practices (U19 306) or Sustainability as a Transformative Agent in Business and Public Policy (U19 368)
- Environmental Law: Applications towards Sustainability (U19 328)
Connect with an Advisor
CAPS also offers the following degree, providing knowledge and methods about sustainability, local to global, to help improve the quality of individual lives, the productivity of institutions, and the security of our planet.
Bachelor of Science in Sustainability
Our CAPS advisors go the extra mile to help you navigate your path and needs. We will provide you with the tools to make each moment spent on your education as valuable as possible. Students will receive:
- individual appointments with an experienced advisor;
- career planning services to prepare you for opportunities after graduation;
- a partner throughout your journey to ensure success.
Student advising is available from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday.