Our flexible evening, part-time, and online course offerings allow you to earn a degree from one of the nation’s premier universities while maintaining your other commitments.
Placing personal experience above all else, the School of Continuing & Professional Studies (CAPS) at Washington University in St. Louis offers adults countless opportunities for world-class learning. Here, you don’t have to choose between your future and your life — with personalized options, flexible programming, and the value of a Washington University degree at an affordable rate — you can have both.
Course Enrollment at CAPS
There are two ways to enroll in courses at CAPS: as a non-degree-seeking student or as a degree-seeking student. Explore the differences below to see which option makes sense for your professional and educational goals.
- Courses may be taken for professional advancement, in preparation for application to a degree or certificate program, or for personal enrichment.
- Courses may be taken on a pass/fail, audit, or credit basis.
- Includes special enrollment types such as Visiting Undergraduate, Graduate-At-Large, and Special Audit.
- Not eligible for federal financial aid, scholarships, grants, or other funding sources.
- No application required.
- Courses are taken as part of a degree, certificate, or specialized program.
- Courses are taken for credit; pass/fail option available under certain circumstances.
- Courses are selected to fulfill specific degree requirements according to major or program of study.
- Most degree programs are eligible for federal financial aid; scholarships, grants, and other funding sources may be available.
- Some certificate and professional programs are eligible for federal financial aid.
I work full-time and splitting online and on-campus courses have helped to manage my life from week-to-week. I have the choice to take courses during the day, during the evenings; I could choose what time in the evening I want to take classes…the flexibility is very important to my schooling.”JOEL PUGH
BS in Political Science, Minor in Global Leadership Management
Open Enrollment Policy
Take evening courses on a non-degree basis without applying for a program.